Black, Starr & Frost
Black, Starr & Frost is one of the oldest operating jewelry houses in America. Founded in 1810 by Erastus Barton and Frederick Marquand it was originally named Marquand and Barton located near New York’s Maiden Lane. The firm added and lost partners numerous times; it also frequently moved locations, depending on the whereabouts of its prestigious clientele and carried an eclectic mix of lamps, jewelry, porcelain, paintings, and other art objects. In 1876 the firm moved to 251 Fifth Avenue, changed its name to Black, Starr & Frost and concentrated its inventory on jewelry and silver objects, some produced in-house, others imported from Europe.